Images

Ashby museum has an archive of over 3000 photographs – both original and copies. This page allows people to view the main group of photographs, but does not include photographs in specialist collections as these often include ones that are not in our primary area of interest. Larger images may be viewed at the museum during opening hours, and copies for private use may be purchased.

This page also allows access to details of artefacts (physical objects) held by the museum. Please note that when changing between photographs and artefacts, the classification list is only updated after the first search.

Select archive type
Filter by classification and/or text

Showing images 21 to 30 of 4081
AYZMU:P19-0026
1915 circa
Our Lady of Lourdes Roman Catholic church, workmen building the church circa 1916. FLora Paulyna Hetty Barbara Hastings, Duchess of Norfolk (died 11 April 1887) left jewllery to be sold to build a Catholic church in Ashby. Her husband Henry, 15th Duke of Norfolk, sold the jewels and built this church in honour of the Blessed Virgin Mary, under the invocation of Our Lady of Lourdes. Foundation stone laid 1913.

AYZMU:P19-0025
1953 - 1956
Frontage of No.43, T.Pass & Son (electrical) in mid 1950's. Current owner- Howard Pass, whose father started the business in 1928 opoosite where Lloyds Bank and No. 42 the post office now stand. In 1936, the business directory shows the business to be operating at No. 43. In July 2019, the business moved to the rear of No. 43, down Pass Courtyard.

AYZMU:P19-0024
6.2019
Frontage of No.43, T.Pass & Son (electrical). Current owner- Howard Pass, whose father started the business in 1928 opoosite where Lloyds Bank and No. 42 the post office now stand. In 1936, the business directory shows the business to be operating at No. 43. In July 2019, the business moved to the rear of No. 43, down Pass Courtyard.

AYZMU:P19-0023
1950 - 1952
Hood Park, open air swimming pool (built 1931) in about 1950

AYZMU:P19-0022
pre 1928
Newbold pipeworks: Pre 1928. Train travelling towards New Lount colliery - see spoil heaps in distance. Colliery opened in 1924, closed in 1968. Second photo shows Newbold pipeworks behind the train.

AYZMU:P19-0021
2.1970
2 photos of a Class 25 train at Worthington Station sidings, February 1970.

AYZMU:P19-0020
1940
Looking down the track from Worthington station towards the Breedon Cloud Hill quarry sidings in 1940.

AYZMU:P19-0019
1960
Dick & Edith Dibb-Smith moving their cattle from Breedon Brand to Cornwall. Tonge Station 1960. Assisting, with backs to camera are farming friends Bob Foreman from Stenson and Bob's brotherin law, Eric Foster from Park Farm.

AYZMU:P19-0018 image 1 of 2
1930 - 1951 approx
Ticknall tunnel from the west end in 1951. Second photo shows the Stephenson Locomotive Society Special in 1952, stopping at Ticknall sidings, the end of the line.

AYZMU:P19-0018 image 2 of 2
1930 - 1951 approx
Ticknall tunnel from the west end in 1951. Second photo shows the Stephenson Locomotive Society Special in 1952, stopping at Ticknall sidings, the end of the line.