Images

Ashby museum has an archive of over 3000 photographs – both original and copies. This page allows people to view the main group of photographs, but does not include photographs in specialist collections as these often include ones that are not in our primary area of interest. Larger images may be viewed at the museum during opening hours, and copies for private use may be purchased.

This page also allows access to details of artefacts (physical objects) held by the museum. Please note that when changing between photographs and artefacts, the classification list is only updated after the first search.

Select archive type
Filter by classification and/or text

Showing images 31 to 40 of 4081
AYZMU:P19-0017 image 1 of 2
1930 - 1951 approx
View of Old Parks tunnel, Ashby, showing the Groony Frame which controls the switch into the Ticknall Sidings. Date around 1930. Man and boy lived in the Tunnel house (Chadwick & sons). Second photo shows the Ticknall Tunnel house in 1951. the tramway passed through the gate on the right towards Ticknall. There was weighbridge at this point. Tunnel in use until approx 1925-30. Man and boy lived in the Tunnel house .

AYZMU:P19-0017 image 2 of 2
1930 - 1951 approx
View of Old Parks tunnel, Ashby, showing the Groony Frame which controls the switch into the Ticknall Sidings. Date around 1930. Man and boy lived in the Tunnel house (Chadwick & sons). Second photo shows the Ticknall Tunnel house in 1951. the tramway passed through the gate on the right towards Ticknall. There was weighbridge at this point. Tunnel in use until approx 1925-30. Man and boy lived in the Tunnel house .

AYZMU:P19-0016 image 1 of 2
2005 - 2010
Extensive collection of 152 aerial photos taken by Lesley Hextall as part of a Staunton Harold social history project in 2005/2006 &2010. All can be viewed in detail in the museum. An example from the 2005/6 collection - view of Lount and an example from the 2010 collection - Donington Park is shown

AYZMU:P19-0016 image 2 of 2
2005 - 2010
Extensive collection of 152 aerial photos taken by Lesley Hextall as part of a Staunton Harold social history project in 2005/2006 &2010. All can be viewed in detail in the museum. An example from the 2005/6 collection - view of Lount and an example from the 2010 collection - Donington Park is shown

AYZMU:P19-0015
1970
Holy Trinity Church church choir in 1970.

AYZMU:P19-0014
1950 - 1959
Royal Hotel in the 1950's - around same time as previous photo (P09-0506) but looking towards town centre with Our Lady of Lourdes RC church in background. Note: White bollards and chains on footpath, protruding sign on portico with Union Jack flying above. .

AYZMU:P19-0013
1920 - 1927
Standard Soap site pre 1928, probably early 1920's. Hood Park can be seen across the top right corner of the photo, complete with tennis courts along the boundary of the Giliwiskaw brook and the cricket pitch beyond. The now demolished dwellings on Mill Bank can be seen with railway waggons on the now demolished Callis bridge, with a siding direct into the Soap Factory site. Top left corner of the photo shows a field behind the "White house (formerly the house of the water works manager and later the offices for the soap factory) with a path clearly linking the two. This area was subsequently built on in 1928 as the Meridith & Drew biscuit factory.

AYZMU:P19-0012
1900 - 1910
Castle ruins, from the north, with Hastings Tower and chapel. Note beautifully kept gardens and lawns in environs!

AYZMU:P19-0011
1890 - 1910
Donington Hall 1890-1910 approximately

AYZMU:P19-0010
Market Street Northeast, from just below Brook Street, looking west. A very similar photo to P09-0024 (Market Street Northwest)